Seizing Dreams 【夺梦】
Genre: Adventure, Fantasy, Psychological, Romance, School Life, Slice of Life, Supernatural, Yaoi
Translation Status: Ongoing
Schedule: One/Two chapters per week at 00:00~03:00 GMT+8 on Sat/Sun
Within the dream of the dreamer, the one who was dreamed of awoke.
“I exist in the sunlight, the wind, between the heavens and the earth, and also in dreams.”
One night, Yu Hao, a college student who was at his wits’ end had an unexpected encounter with a mysterious visitor – “General” – who had dream travelled. He led Yu Hao in solving the countless riddles that abounded in the realm of the conscious, and lit up the fire beacons on the meandering Great Wall.
Thereafter, the darkness retreated, the sun rose, and when the long night was thoroughly lit up, the him who existed in reality was reborn.
The black dragon that roared, the lighthouse and demonic eyes on the coastline, the rain forest before Chichén Itzá, the fierce beasts that wreaked havoc in the Colosseum…the bizarre projection of reality in one’s consciousness reflected the hidden place that the sunlight in reality couldn’t touch – the innumerable sins of the human heart.
The journey of seizing dreams continues, and one can only hope that the sun will continue illuminating the human heart.
Fire beacons on the Great Wall were lit up to signal a border invasion.
SEIZING DREAMS IS SO!!!!! GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!! It’s a perfect mishmash of both fantasy and reality as it interweaves stunning dreamscapes with its corresponding representations in the real world.
We start off with our MC (Yu Hao) facing an unfair conviction of stealing his student’s watch. Sadly, it wasn’t the first time Yu Hao had been accused of such a crime. But because of an accident and everyone’s distrust of him, he could not rid himself of the first accusation he faced in junior high. Coupled with the death of his grandmother, his only family that was left in his world, Yu Hao had lost all hope and thus decided to end his life. However, after he fell into a deep sleep during his suicide attempt, he woke up in a foreign place that looked…a lot like the Great Wall. And it was in this place that he met the one who brought light (sort of literally) into his world again — General.
What I like about this novel:
1. The dreamscapes are visually stunning and can stand alone as worlds of their own with all kinds of funny places/creatures that reflect the dreamer’s fears in the real world. In each dreamscape is a totem that signifies the dreamer’s future hopes and dreams, and is the nucleus of the dreamscape. Thus, the main task of Yu Hao and General is to seize the totem back from the one who had taken it away (usually a manifestation of their biggest fears would have stolen the totem). When they successfully retrieve the totem, the sun will rise and everything in the dreamscape will be born anew. Meanwhile, they need to be careful not to die or be chased to the borders, or they’ll be at risk of falling into the unconsciousness and will never be able to wake up again.
2. Action. Yu Hao and General has to face all sorts of weird creatures in dreams that they’ll have to defeat in order to retrieve the totem. I almost died of asphyxiation cause I was holding my breath so much during their fights.
3. Interweaving dreams and reality. Whatever appears in the dreamscapes are intrinsically tied to the experiences and thoughts of the dream in real life, which makes for some very interesting links.
4. It tries to go deeper. There’s a lot of talk on psychological disorders and the human psyche in this. As someone who studied Psychology for my Bachelor’s, it’s interesting for me to see how the author tries to incorporate such elements into the novel (I don’t necessarily agree with the novel’s standpoint though). So this is also a trigger warning for people who can’t stand to see stuff related to suicide, personality disorders etc.
5. The characters. All the characters in this novel were represented very realistically and I fell in love with Yu Hao and gang. I especially adored the character development of Yu Hao as he courageously faced new challenges head on throughout the novel, and he’s such a cinnamon roll that it makes me want to hug him through my screen. I freaking love ML too because he’s actually a really perceptive and attentive person. Around the end of vol 1, I found out just how many of his ‘insignificant actions’ were actually done on purpose to help those around him, which was a pretty mind-blowing moment for me.
Watch video below for preview omg I love it:
Episode 1: Chapters 1-4
Volume 1: The Great Wall
Seizing Dreams 1: Deep Sleep
Seizing Dreams 2: Shocked Awake
Seizing Dreams 3: Recalling Old Memories
Seizing Dreams 4: Expectations
Seizing Dreams 5: Escort
Seizing Dreams 6: Elephant God
Seizing Dreams 7: Reservoir
Seizing Dreams 8: Picked up Money
Seizing Dreams 9: Totem
Seizing Dreams 10: Interview
Seizing Dreams 11: Speaking Face to Face
Seizing Dreams 12: Shi Ni
Seizing Dreams 13: Monkey
Seizing Dreams 14: A Child’s Dream
Seizing Dreams 15: Lone Island